Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hammock

The new Hammock record, "Maybe They Will Sing for Us Tomorrow," is reviewed on Pitchfork today, and they liked it, not that I really give a shit.

I will say that this, along with The Silent Years "The Globe," is another one of my favorites of the year. Call it bliss, call it drone, call it whatever the hell you want to call it. Like Stars of the Lid, they stretch guitar melodies over a huge canvas, the whole thing a beautiful experience. This record was a live performance that, if I'm not mistaken, was recreated for the actual recording and releasing of the record.

I love this band and have been listening to this record, again, since I downloaded it, and now I suppose I should buy it. Those of you for the more raucous side of drone may not like this, but if you're into Stars of the Lid and a lot of the Kranky stuff, this may be for you. Their record before this is also great, and it's more in a weirdly-updated Cocteau Twins vein, if that makes any sense.