Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Does a lion stretch before he runs down a gazelle? No.

I just watched VINCE VAUGHN'S WILD WEST COMEDY SHOW and it was pretty damn good. I've never been a huge fan of comedy, stage comedy, CDs. I never got into Patton Oswalt or David Cross, or any of the old school guys much. Maybe I don't have the patience to listen to a lot of it intently since I'd much rather be listening to music.

But the tour / documentary / movie experience was a pretty good one. I've only read poetry to an audience 3 times thus far in my life, which means I'm way beyond a rookie. I don't mind reading, but it's not something I'd want to do every single day probably. I'd get too sick of my work. And I've been at enough snoozers, whether it's fiction or poetry or non-fiction. Everyone talks shit on everyone else's work. People have undoubtedly said the same shit about my stuff.

Comedy seems to get a bad rap though much of the time. It's about entertainment, as performing poetry or fiction or anything thereof may be, of course, and there won't be a huge rant on that, but I enjoyed most of what happens behind the scenes. Going to meet the families of the four comics, mostly.

And be it some kind of rock band on the road or a bunch of writers, being stuck in some kind of vehicle for a long time and traveling through the country has to be a pretty amazing experience. I hope to be there at some point, though on a much lesser scale than a tour bus.

It has a low rating on IMDB now, and I'm not sure why. I learned more about the "business" aspect of it than I thought I would, and yes, I would've liked to see more of the actual comedy, but that makes you seek out more on the Internet. I usually don't laugh out loud at movies either, and I was laughing out loud at some points.

Plus Vince Vaughn seems like a very down to earth dude.