Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Issues

Thanks to Jamison, Zach and company at Sonora Review for taking my poem, "Alternate Featurette, Little Monsters."

My excitement is heightened by the fact that I love Sonora Review, Little Monsters is one of my favorite films of all time that no one's ever seen, and this is the second poem of the AF batch in the last few days that's been accepted. I hope it keeps up, because I'm always shifting these poems in my manuscript, taking them out, putting them back in, wondering if they belong in it at all etc. This gives me some faith that they belong there. But maybe they don't. Who knows?

*

Speaking of movies, The Happening is one of the worst pieces of garbage I've ever seen. I think he played a joke on everyone. Unless he intended it to be a MST3K-like bullshit facade of a movie, I don't understand how there could've been that many bad lines, that much horrendous acting, that many characters that don't have any purpose in being in certain scenes except wasting time and making the movie close to 90 minutes. Some of the forced and unnecessarily direct violence, especially against younger kids, seems like M. Night needs to seek some help. There's more to its horrendous nature than meets the eye. There has to be. But if you're going to see it, download it. Don't waste a spot in your Netflix queue or pay cash in any way to see it.

Also, am I the only one who hasn't given up on Kevin Bacon (who I think turned 50 today)? Is there a reason why he's still making movies? I like Alison Eastwood in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, so I thought she may have a decent shot at directing a melodrama. I like Douglas Sirk at his melodramtic best, so why wouldn't Rails & Ties be at least decent? Well, the acting's pretty much no good across the board -- the kid especially -- the scenes are expected, and it really should've been made into a Lifetime movie. I really need to pay attention to the reviews more. It pretty much blows is what I'm trying to say should you not have been clued in thus far.

And though it was a boot (washed out and pixelated colors, though the sound was great), I checked out Wall*E too, and I liked it a lot. Should it be in the IMDB top 250 films? Of course not. And it's not as good as some of the other Pixar stuff, which I'm certainly a fan of, but it's more of a feast for the senses than the others, maybe even more than Ratatouille. Thomas Newman's score, though, as always, is incredible. I think he's easily the best musician scoring films these days. The score for The Shawshank Redemption (also one of the best movies ever made) is something I still listen to frequently, and so many others tried to copy his style after that. But Wall*E's worth seeing. It's kind of spastic and weird at some points, and reaches too hard to get the kids into it, when it's clearly more of -- though lighter-hearted -- an adult-oriented film, but it's good, and it'll be nice to see it when it's actually released on DVD.

*

It was cool to see the more no-name (another way to put it?) cast of The Office kick ass tonight on Celebrity Family Fued. And they were playing for a foundation in Scranton. My brother used to live across from Al Roker's brownstone in NYC. He saw him doing dishes a lot. And when his kid was born there were balloons and celebratory baby things on the front porch. I think that was before his surgery.

*

I was disappointed that Christina won Hell's Kitchen tonight. I understand why I suppose, with Petrozza being 47 and G.R. thinking longterm with the executive chef deal. But I've been for Petrozza from the beginning, so it was kind of a bummer. Then I realized that I was standing up when they were at both doors ready to turn the handles. And I questioned what I was doing with my life. Not really. I loved every minute of it, so screw you.