Friday, July 11, 2008

Paranoid Park

I finally saw Paranoid Park earlier, and I was pretty happy with it, as Van Sant continues to be an ass kicking director. There's some Larry Clark influence, seemingly at least, ala Kids and Ken Park (which I don't think will ever be officially released, making sense since there's images of a kid ejaculating with a belt around his neck, not to mention the teenage threesome at the end... but it's worth seeing if you can find a copy), and somehow continuing the extremely beautiful tracking and slow-motion shots. Ambient music with grainy skateboard footage somehow is magical in his hands. The acting can probably turn some people off, but I find some of the natural beats and stuttering refreshing after so many Hollywood movies, "indies" or not. I'll buy a copy when it officially comes out. It seems like a good final triumvirate entry along with Elephant and Last Days, even though they're not necessarily a trilogy of course. Looking forward to Milk (especially since Harris Savides is again behind the lens) -- even though I still need to see The Times of Harvey Milk -- when it's released.

*

A few months ago at Chiocca's, Timmy was playing "The Healing Game" by Van Morrison. I thought it was an older record, but it's from 1997. It's a damn good record though. A lot of horns and more mellow this time too. He ain't the same dude from the old school days, but he's lost less steps than most older musicians. I need to return again to the entire catalogue.

*

The other day another guy, though in a car this time, stopped to ask me where Monument "Street" was when I was walking home from class. For some reason I freeze when people ask me for directions, because I don't know where I am, ever -- just the direction I'm going right then. So stupidly, and quickly, I said, as he was turning, "Keep on going," like an idiot. And then I realized a second letter that Monument Ave. was of course the opposite direction. Sorry, buddy. My bad.

*

And to quell the worries of Joshua Poteat... Don't worry, people, I'll never be posting drafts. My published work is bad enough. Though I do have to say, if Paul Guest posts a draft, I always feel like writing a poem. Most other folks though, I'm not interested either.